Thursday, February 23, 2006

Trenches, 101

Exactly what are "Trenches"

Trench
n 1: a ditch dug as a fortification having a parapet of the excavated earth 2: a long steep-sided depression in the ocean floor [syn: deep, oceanic abyss] 3: any long ditch cut in the ground v 1: impinge or infringe upon; "This impinges on my rights as an individual"; "This matter entrenches on other domains" [syn: impinge, encroach, entrench] 2: fortify by surrounding with trenches; "He trenched his military camp" 3: cut or carve deeply into; "letters trenched into the stone" 4: set, plant, or bury in a trench; "trench the fallen soldiers"; "trench the vegetables" 5: cut a trench in, as for drainage; "ditch the land to drain it"; "trench the fields" [syn: ditch] 6: dig a trench or trenches; "The National Guardsmen were sent out to trench"

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

That is a rather wordy, yet useful description....yet for me, "Trenches" is simply where and how I live. And yea, how I believe a great portion of us do. Some of us deeply fortified, others hidden deep in the oceans of our particular circumstances, and still others filed in long rows in the ground of our world. Myself? I am entrenched in this role of a caretaker, (Father, husband, caregiver for my disabled wife, defender of rights), buried deep in my own oceans of realities in life.
I hope in the coming hours, days, and years, to share a little more about me, and to discuss what Life in the Trenches is like. And how we as a group so to speak, can perhaps say or do something about it to create a difference? Or not, but I will speak. That is all I have learned in life, that is truelly mine. My thoughts, my words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home